The MP3 in Dutch copyright law
The rise of the Internet has put copyright law "in the picture". Digital distribution of music, videos and other content undermines many of the assumptions that undermine traditional copyright law. In other words, it is now very easy to copy a copyrighted movie, song or other work. Not surprisingly, digital copying now occurs on a large scale, in particular with digital music files: the MP3.
There is legally speaking nothing special about the file format MP3 as opposed to formats like WMA or Ogg Vorbis. MP3 is currently the most popular format, and it is common to equate MP3 with "music in digital form". For this reason I have use the term MP3 even though the legal situation is no different for other digital formats for music.
- File sharing legaal? (in Dutch)
- MP3 and copyright
- De positie van het MP3-bestand in de Auteurswet (in Dutch)
- Auteursrechtelijke mythes omtrent MP3 (in Dutch)
- Veel Voorkomende Vragen over MP3's (in Dutch)
- De auteursrechtelijke status van hyperlinks naar MP3's (in Dutch)
- MP3-zoekmachines en zoeken naar MP3's in het auteursrecht (in Dutch)