Frequently asked questions on patents
Patents are very powerful intellectual property rights. However, the laws and treaties that govern patents are complex and hard to understand. This document attempts to answer some frequently asked questions with regards to patents.
List of questions
- What is a patent?
- Why are patents granted?
- Is there a world-wide patent?
- Is there a European patent?
- But what about the world patents published by the WIPO?
- How long is a patent valid?
- Can computer software be patented?
- Can business methods be patented?
- How do I get a patent on an invention?
- Is the date on which I made the invention important?
- Can I publish my invention before applying for a patent?